(Applicable in spring, Summer & Fall)
This is an itchy, spreading rash, secondary to contact with plants like, poison ivy, poison sumac, poison oak, and others
- Teach your kids to identify these plants
- Try to remove those plants from the areas where kids play
If you are exposed, you should quickly (within 10 minutes):
- First, cleanse exposed areas with rubbing alcohol.
- Next, wash the exposed areas with water only (no soap yet, since soap can move the urushiol, which is the oil from the poison ivy that triggers the rash, around your body and actually make the reaction worse).
- Now, take a shower with soap and warm water.
- Lastly, put gloves on and wipe everything you had with you, including shoes, tools, and your clothes, with rubbing alcohol and water.
- Since your kids get poison ivy a lot, having a ‘poison ivy action kit’ ready, with rubbing alcohol, a large bottle of water, and some soap, might be a good idea. Always supervise use of rubbing alcohol, as it can be poisonous.